Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Well, that was fast--Tough Decisions.

Usually I can come up with some clever introduction to my blog posts, but for this one, I'm kind of at a loss. After my last blog post, I was discharged Saturday afternoon with the IV steroids to be able to continue the steroid taper from the comfort of home, and eventually gradually switch to oral/liquid steroids while also trying to get my weight back up to a healthy level.

Yesterday I was going to a follow up appointment with my primary care doctor, and prior to leaving, I started experiencing the same weird feeling in my chest/arrythmia that I have been feeling intermittently. It came and went, but it was enough to make more really dizzy, nauseous, and short of breath. I got to my doctor's office, and at that point, it seemed to fuel some sort of mast cell reaction. They called 911, and I was back off to the hospital.

When I got here, they gave me the usual anaphylaxis protocol, and also took blood work. Those labs indicated what we already knew and had been seeing in my labs for weeks, severe malnourishment and failure to absorb medications and nutrients. They admitted me back to the ICU Stepdown Unit/PCU Unit that I had been on for the latter part of my last admission, and gave me IV electrolytes overnight.

After speaking with the team here and nutritionists, they decided to start me on TPN, or Total Parenteral Nutrition (LINK). TPN is a cocktail of vitamins, minerals, lipids, fats, etc. that provide complete nutrition via a central line, like the PICC that was placed last week or my port. It takes the GI tract out of the equation in terms of what is getting absorbed, since it bypasses the GI tract entirely, which is why they elected for TPN instead of a nasal or surgical feeding tube. It runs for 12-14 hours a day and provides an entire day's worth of calories and nutrition. While inpatient, they take labs daily, and build a "cocktail" based upon whichever nutritional deficits they are seeing. On an outpatient basis, these labs are usually once a week.

In theory and in the short term, TPN is literally life saving. However, the long term risk profile, risk of complications, and impact on quality of life can be challenging. The current plan is to use TPN for a week + to get my weight up out of the danger zone, and provide a buffer. We suspect that at this point, the autoimmune process that has been ravaging my system is partially fueled by the fact that my body is trying to attack tissues for energy sources. Once we have gotten me out of the danger zone, then we will work on getting me off TPN as soon as humanly possible.

In the mean time, I am supposed to eat as much and as frequently as possible to make sure that my GI tract doesn't take an even more extended hiatus than it already has. I am trying to nibble throughout the day, use supplements like Ensure, etc, again to try to avoid TPN complications and hopefully need it as minimally as possible.

That being said, I was supposed to move into graduate housing at the end of the month to begin my MSW program. In light of recent events, the shift in what our plan going forward is, and the timing of everything, I had to make the extraordinarily difficult decision to defer enrollment in my Master's program for a year.

To be entirely honest, I'm pretty heartbroken. I know grad school will wait for me, and that I need to be focusing on my health, but as I mentioned in my last post, I'm naturally frustrated. I am confident in my team's ability to manage things and to anything and everything necessary to get me back up to speed as soon as possible. I'm also scared of TPN complications, but I know that at this point, I don't have any other choices. While I'm here, we also are going to continue to ween down on the steroids whenever possible while trying to also avoid any more major mast cell episodes.

Once I'm discharged, depending on where we are at with TPN, I"ll either get my port swapped to a double lumen (2 part), or a line called a Hickman, which is similar to the PICC line that they placed in my arm, but in my chest. For TPN, it sometimes is less of an infection risk to use a PICC or Hickman in comparison to a port. My educated guess is that I'll be here at least a few days to a week, but it seems to depend on whether my mast cells cooperate with the agenda. In the mean time, I'm working on snacking, tutoring, coloring, and whatever else is distracting and minimally stressful. b

I also feel the need to apologize for the "Debby Downer" kind of post, but for right now, I think writing everything out is helpful for processing. I hope to have a more positive update soon after they start the TPN overnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment