Thursday, August 16, 2018

Escape Plan Initiated

Finally I get to report that I should be on my way home this evening! Thank you again for all of you who have reached out, come to visit, dropped a note, it means a lot to me!


Part of the "weight gain" care package from my friend Molly (and this wasn't even half!).
 We were able to lower the IV steroids a hair more last night without any major episodes, and most of today was spent going back and forth between the pharmacy, home health/nursing agency, regular outpatient pharmacy, and my outpatient team to orchestrate everything. My situation is far from typical in terms of complexity and discharge, but we all can agree that virtually living in the hospital is not a very solid quality of life, nor would really change much long term. I'm incredibly thankful and lucky to have a support system at home to help me through this.

My cousin Maya drew this page free-handed for me to color!
Assuming everything falls into place, the pharmacy is delivering the TPN (IV nutrition) and other medications to my house later this evening, which my step mom will bring to the hospital, connect me to, and then head home. The new home health agency is supposed to come tomorrow to do a dressing change on my PICC (IV line), and make sure that I'm confident in preparing medications. including administering and preparing the Methotrexate injections. I have labs and follow ups with my primary care physician on Monday, and I also need to follow up to see if switching my port is still an option, since ports typically have a lower infection risk than the PICC line (and mine already seems to have some issues with blood return). I have follow ups in San Diego at the end of the month with allergy/immunology and cardiology. The hospital dietician also came by last night to confirm that the current plan is to still get as much of my nutrition as humanly possible by mouth, and also keep me on the TPN, most likely for a couple of months, until my body weight is up. After that, we work on weening off of it, or at least reducing the frequency. The cocktail that constitutes the TPN is regularly adjusted by my doctor and the pharmacist based on my blood tests.

(Warning- paragraph only for those of you interested in the nitty-gritty logistics, otherwise, jump to next paragraph). The Benadryl is the same as it has been before-- I change the bag of medication and tubing that is connected to me daily, and that is attached 24/7, shower, sleeping and all. For Pepcid and the IV steroids, I draw them up into syringes ahead of time, and they have to stay refrigerated-- the Pepcid being twice a day, steroids three times a day (while also titrating the dose down and keeping track of those numbers). The TPN runs for 14/24 hours of the day. Before I can start that, I have to add vitamins and folic acid to the mixture, which ends up being a pretty massive bag. While the TPN is running, I'm carrying the TPN itself, a pump, plus the Benadryl and another pump (which ends up being a solid portion of my entire body weight).
Very excited to ditch this view and the never ending wire tangle.

When I initially started the continuous diphenhydramine/Benadryl infusion (CDI) last May, I wrote a lot about a new normal, adjusting to being connected to the pump constantly, and so many new (and scary) considerations. I certainly am feeling that way-- it is pretty overwhelming and scary to have to track and care for everything. I know I'll get through it, just as I did before, but at the moment, I'll let myself go through the anxiety-- and being at HOME will help with that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment