Friday, August 3, 2018

Puppies do Make Everything Better

Well, maybe not everything, but they certainly are a fun change of pace! I had a really rough morning with some weird cardiac symptoms, but I saw three therapy dogs pass my room and it totally cheered me up (not that human visitors are not awesome too, shout out thanks for the visits). The highlight-- the dog in this picture''s name is Epi, after epinephrine. The volunteer asked if I knew what that was- I responded with, "that's why I'm here!" Too perfect of a coincidence.

A health update from my last post-- I was moved from the ICU to the Progressive Care Unit (PCU/ICU stepdown) Tuesday evening. It's nice to finally have a room with an actual toilet, shower, and slightly more room, etc., especially since this admission has unfortunately been longer than anticipated. It can be a little logistically challenging because when I need emergency medications, I need them then and there, but we seem to have refined it to a system.

Despite the IV steroids, the addition of another oral immunosuppressant, and additional Benadryl, I am still having episodes of angioedema (swelling) around my lips, cheeks, and tongue. Thankfully I have only had one episode since moving out of the ICU that has required an epi pen, but nevertheless, I'm frustrated that it has been more than a week and things still aren't fully resolving.

I guess I should know by now that my body doesn't play by the rules, but its still disappointing. In light of the difficulty getting off IV steroids, continued issues of malabsorption of both food and medication,  maximize comfort, and decrease infection risk, the team is ok with sending me home with IV steroids and the intention of gradually lowering those and transitioning to oral steroids, but liquid instead of pills. The IV immune-modulating medication will be added once things are more stable a month or two down the line.

There was one more inpatient dose decrease in steroids this morning. If things go ok this evening and through tomorrow, I should be able to go home tomorrow. The pharmacy has been great (as always) and is supposed to meet me at home with my supplies. We had a hiccup this afternoon with home health nursing. I have not always seen eye to eye with the nursing agency since I moved back home, but today, where they were argumentative, asking for cash pay despite insurance coverage, and overall creating additional unnecessary hurtles. This agency is totally independent of the pharmacy, and the pharmacy has their own nursing in addition to contracted agencies, so it shouldn't be any issue, but nevertheless seems like a pointless speed bump.

Once I get out of here, I'll be able to have a better gage of my plans for the near future. In the very immediate future, the plan is to continue the medications at home, the new oral medication, the new IV medication (Rituxan) down the road, another attempt at IVIG in a week, and getting my (currently de-accessed) single port switched to a double lumen so the PICC can be removed ASAP.  Current plan is move into graduate housing the last week of August if things stay stable. My new wheelchair should come in about 2 weeks.

In the mean time, I'm occupying myself with online tutoring and orange is the new black, and surrounded by copious amounts of snacks in the attempt to get my weight back up to normal. I haven't been outside in a week now, so fresh air is going to feel amazing. I'm hoping to be able to binge watch Sacha Baron Cohen's new show over the weekend because I heard some positive reviews :P Plus, the ice cream at home is a lot taster than these damn Ensures!


PS-- If you haven't already, please donate to the Denim Dash for Rare Diseases! It is a walk/roll/stroll 5K (or however much you can) for rare diseases such as those that obviously dramatically impact my life. You do NOT have to participate in the Dash to help out. DONATE HERE!






No comments:

Post a Comment