Saturday, May 13, 2017

Getting Adjusted

Any transition is tricky to navigate, but I am happy to report that things are continuing to be moving in the positive direction! I have now been on the CDI at home for 3 days, and I have been driving everyone who I know who is on the CDI NUTS for the entirety of those days, 24/7. I am incredibly appreciative for all of you! Everything is so new, and my questions aren't things you can just look up on Google since this treatment is so rare. I got out of the house for the first time yesterday for a routine doctor's appointment. No problems there, I just don't have my walking/stair climbing stamina back yet.

For those of you curious about the actual challenges themselves: I am still trying to figure out exact dosing, when to give myself an extra "bolus" dose (extra push of Benadryl), how to mix the medication, and change the bags. I had one "oopsie" last night when I was mixing the bags for the weekend, where I ruined a bag and hit my finger, but luckily there was an extra bag to last me through Monday and my finger is totally fine :) This all is a HUGE learning experience, and it will continue to be. Monday we learn how to change the tubing, and the nurse will change my needle and port dressing. I seem to have figured the shower thing out, Glad Press N Seal with some waterproof tape for my peace of mind. I didn't know that I was supposed to stay connected in the shower, so I stick the pump bag outside of the shower, and let the cord go in the door- it is thin enough that the water doesn't come out of the shower. Sleeping, I have gotten used to the cord and the pump noise.

This morning, I was able to watch the Pitzer graduation- congratulations to the Class of 2017! I am excited to be up on that same stage next year :) I have a professor for one of my online classes that is making my life more difficult, but after this class and a course in ASL over the summer, I am still planning on graduating on time, and returning to school in the beginning of August to work in the Summer Housing Office.

I will continue to keep you guys updated through this whole process, and have an awesome rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment