Sunday, May 27, 2018

Operation LA or Bust: Success

I am very happy to announce that "Operation LA or Bust" was a success, and that I am resting back at home! I was discharged yesterday late afternoon, and my dad and I got home around dinner time. I'm so relieved to be back in my own house and bed, but each time when I do get discharged, it is unfortunately a reminder of how much strength or energy I've lost during a hospitalization. It's really frustrating to feel that I'm doing so well, and have made so much progress health wise, yet can't get around even in my own house. It almost feels like I've been in some sort of time warp for the past couple of weeks. I have my 22nd birthday to look forward to in a little over a week, although my brain isn't quite there yet.

I'll get my my strength back, the never ending steroid taper will resume, and the moon face will come and go again. But in the mean time, any progress is progress, and I just have to continue to remind myself (again) that slow and steady wins the race.  I've lost a lot of body mass, including muscle, which will take time, physical therapy, and lots of super yummy nutritional shakes to build up :P I'm hoping to try to work for a day or two this week to help get "back in the groove."

Between now and July, I am participating in the virtual "Denim Dash," a 5K for rare disease awareness, something that is obviously quite near and dear to my heart. This race is something I can complete from home-- walking, wheeling, pedaling, whatever. If you are interested in donating or joining the team, sign up here: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/the-mast-cell-crew?utm_campaign=oc&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=crowdrise


I get food cravings on steroids, but once they're actually in front of me, I'm uninterested. This was an ongoing point of light hearted conversation between my dad and I and the medical team-- "Cookie Mountain." They kept bringing them to me and I decided to try to have some fun with it. 

Good bye and good riddance!

No comments:

Post a Comment