Saturday, April 29, 2017

No News is Good News

Good evening! I am happy to report that I don't have any news. I am still in the ICU, as starting tonight, we are going to begin the long process of reducing my steroid dose. I am now 24 hours epi free. In order for me to be discharged, I need to have my IV steroid dose reduced, then switched to oral. Tonight we do the first IV decrease, and assuming all goes well, I can go to oral steroids Sunday or Monday. This puts me at discharge early next week. Of course I am really anxious to go home, but given that I was here two weeks ago, it is imperative that we make sure that my mast cells have calmed down before going home. And, no more almonds for me!

Today I forced myself to rest a little more. Last night, I finished a paper for my online course-- still not quite sure how I did it, but I hope it is somewhat coherent! I have limited my tutoring today to just a few hours, and tried to get a few cat naps in. I worked with PT to start walking again, and have been able to go on a few short walks. One would think that with the amount of Benadryl in my system, I would be able to fall asleep. However, all the steroids, epi, hospital noise, and all of the cords and tubes on me make it hard to rest. My blood pressure goes off at least once an hour. I was able to sleep better last night, but I certainly can tell that it is going to take a while for me to catch up on sleep once I am home. I am thankful that I did get any sleep last night with no epi needed. Also thankful for the amazing nurses who try to be as quiet as possible and wake me up gently when they have to.

Now I am tutoring and watching Live PD, one of my favorite Friday and Saturday night traditions. I am hoping to go to sleep early (ish) tonight. I will post more updates as I have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment