Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Free!

Sorry it took me a few days to come up with an update! Things were a little bumpy for a bit, and I was not feeling great to work on writing a post. Between my last post and yesterday, the PICU team at CHLA worked on getting me off the epinephrine (adrenaline) drip, and off of IV steroids, so I could get back to school as soon as possible. It took a couple of trials and errors to get the drip off, but after a few days, it started really messing with my blood pressure overnight on Monday night. They turned off the drip early Monday morning, and yesterday switched me to oral steroids.

Once I hit the 12 hour mark off the epinephrine drip without requiring any additional EpiPens, and they were able to get my blood pressure down, they let me go home last night! For the most part, my meds are similar. Unfortunately, they had to give me a HUGE steroid blast to keep me from swelling up, which, as I have talked about before, is not fun. The side effects are unpleasant, and the long term effects aren't great. The doctors made me a new taper schedule, which we are hoping will help me reduce the dosage faster than before. They also placed a patch on my chest to help control my heart rate better. I'm still on the continuous Benadryl pump, so nothing new there.

Since I was there for about 5 days, and on epinephrine for most of that, it did dramatically impact my strength again. It is going to take a few weeks to get back to some sort of baseline. In the mean time, I am resting at my parent's home. Although any hospitalization is super unpleasant, this experience was significantly better than my previous experiences. The team at CHLA was absolutely incredible. They went above and beyond to make sure that I was as comfortable as possible given the situation, listen to me, and "cover all of the bases." They had a plan, and stuck to it. Everyone took a genuine interest in helping me feel better and back on track. They also knew that I REALLY wanted to be discharged, and made sure that I had anything and everything I needed to do so. Having my dad and step mom close by was also immensely helpful, and I am also super appreciative of everyone who came to keep me company for a bit!

Although I'm not a "kid" anymore, I honestly felt like their support programs helped-- they kept me busy, distracted, and feeling semi normal-ish. They brought me things to keep me busy since I wasn't allowed to leave the PICU, therapy dogs who came by usually once a day, and even silly things like making sure the blinds were open to get some natural light. Having Molly there was also quite an experience-- I am lucky to have such an amazing friend. Even though I kind of ended up there by coincidence, without Molly, I would not have been "in the right place at the right time," and likely would have ended up in a much worse situation than I was.

Molly is still at CHLA, and we are working on an elaborate helicopter escape plan :) In the mean time, here is a link to send a (free) halloween card to CHLA-- they will be distributing them on Halloween, and for every card submitted, they get a $1 donation! I do NOT want to land myself back there, but I can certainly say that they are amazing people doing amazing things.

https://secure1.chla.org/site/SPageNavigator/Halloween2017.html?utm_source=in1&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hall17&s_src=hall17in1

I am hoping to head back to school this weekend, and the doctors said I can start going to classes again next week, taking it easy as need be. Once I am back on track, I'll be able to actually investigate the whole grad school situation a bit more, but until then, back to sleep for me~

Representing Team Taylor @ CHLA.

No comments:

Post a Comment