Thursday, August 31, 2017

Losing Invisibility

Good afternoon everybody! No real updates at the moment. I started classes, and for my bioethics class, I wrote this short reflection, which I actually felt proud of, so I figured I would share it here.

As someone who has long identified as having an invisible disability, and having served as an effective self-advocate in the past, I did not anticipate that returning to college with an “invisible disability gone visible” would be so difficult. Although I have worked to try to keep my identity separate from my disabilities, some of my physical and cognitive limitations end up shaping everything I do, both consciously and unconsciously. For example, as a result of my difficulties with auditory processing, I tend to take notes on the computer, which sometimes has differentiated me from other students, particularly in courses that don’t allow computers. It is something that I know works best for my style of learning, and my “go-to” notetaking method. But outside of classroom situations, my auditory processing problems generally remained invisible, as well as my physical health conditions.
            However, as my Mast Cell Activation Syndrome has progressed, and now require around the clock intravenous treatments, my disability is not only visible, but pronounced. Most individuals, especially twenty-one year olds, don’t walk around with a pump that clicks every two minutes. Nor do they have facial rounding, bruising, tremors, and all of the other side effects which come as side effects of the steroids and other medications that I am on. Initially, this took some getting used to even around the house and my family, but returning to school, I am more conscious than ever of the effects of my condition and its associated treatments. I am constantly aware that I am different from “the norm,” and not able bodied. Although it is rare for this to be stated to me explicitly, the stares, pity glances, and silence that consumes a room when I walk in is telling enough.
            I suppose that I am more conscious of other individuals’ behavior changes because my disability was one somewhat invisible. I was fortunate enough to be “invisibly disabled” for most of my life, up until getting sick in college. Reflecting upon this idea, I wonder how individuals who are visibly disabled from birth cope with others noticing their differences. Do they also feel self-conscious about it constantly, or is that something that is “the norm” for them? I believe that young women in particular suffer the most from the problems associated with being “invisibly disabled.” Something that I have experienced personally and seen in many of my peers is the assumption that any physical symptoms is psychosomatic until proven otherwise. I do believe that there is a deep connection between the mind and the body, which creates a constant feedback loop, but it is important to differentiate correlation and causation. Just because someone has an anxiety disorder doesn’t mean that their pain or nausea is simply from nerves, and can be cured from “just calming down.” Although anxiety may be a contributing element of their physical symptoms (and sometimes the cause of it), doesn’t mean that one should assume that it is psychological.
            A saying that I have heard from others in the chronically ill community (which is particularly strong online), is that doctors are told in medical school a quote coined by Dr. Theodore Woodward, “when you hear you hear hoof beats, think of horses, not Zebras” (1940). However, from someone who is a zebra, and was labeled as a horse for most of my life, I think that it is critical for medical professionals to think of horses, but also keep in mind that zebras are out there.
References
Sanchez, A. (2012, November 13). When you hear hoofbeats, don't think zebras. Retrieved from

https://www.digitalistmag.com/lob/sales-marketing/2012/12/06/when-you-hear-hoofbeats-dont-think-zebras-022309

No comments:

Post a Comment